Bifrost: Unlocking Bitcoin DeFi on Cardano — Road to Mainnet (Phase 1 of 2)
Bitcoin is the largest pool of capital in crypto, yet most BTC still sits outside DeFi because moving it off the Bitcoin base layer still requires security trade-offs many holders are not willing to accept. Cardano is structurally well suited for Bitcoin DeFi, but it lacks the secure BTC rail needed to compete for that liquidity. Bifrost is designed to provide that rail: a permissionless Bitcoin-Cardano bridge secured by Cardano’s existing SPO ecosystem that brings BTC onto Cardano as a native Cardano asset that applications can integrate into trading, lending, collateral, and other financial use cases. The bridge is on testnet today under Catalyst Fund 14. This proposal funds Phase 1 of 2: the work required to take Bifrost from a working testnet to launch readiness. It covers hardening, security audits, formal verification, ecosystem and partner readiness, and the stewardship and economic foundations required for launch. Public rollout and 24 months of operations are intentionally separated into a Phase 2 proposal in Q1 2027, once the bridge has been proven on-chain. FluidTokens and Lantr Engineering request ₳12,332,031 (approx, \$1,973,125 at 0.16 USD/ADA, including a 10% refundable contingency) from the Cardano Treasury for a 9-month delivery period from July 2026 to March 2027. By the end of Phase 1, Bifrost will be an audited bridge running on Cardano mainnet in both custody modes (federated and SPO threshold) under controlled access, together with the stewardship structure, hardened economic model, and SPO/dApp partner pipeline required for public launch. For Cardano, that means a proven secure rail into Bitcoin liquidity, ready to be opened to the public in Phase 2, and a credible position from which to compete for one of the largest pools of capital in crypto.
Reasoning
Written after the vote was cast
What this asks for, and from whom
FluidTokens and Lantr Engineering asked for 12,332,031 ADA (about $1.97M at $0.16/ADA, including a 10% refundable contingency) for Phase 1 of Bifrost: taking their Bitcoin-Cardano bridge from working testnet to launch-ready. Hardening, security audits, formal verification, and the stewardship and economic foundations. With public rollout deliberately split into a separate Phase 2 proposal.
What would have to be true for this to be a good use of treasury funds
The strategic read has to be right, and I think it is. Bitcoin is roughly $1.6 trillion of capital and only about 1% of BTC supply is in DeFi anywhere. Because holders don't trust the rails. A bridge secured by Cardano's existing SPO ecosystem instead of a fresh federation is a genuinely different security story, and it gives SPOs a new economic role at the same time.
What specifically concerns me
The size. Twelve million ADA is real money, and bridges are where crypto goes to get hacked. Every catastrophic bridge failure you can name came from cutting corners on exactly the work this phase funds: audits, formal verification, economic hardening. So the ask being weighted toward security before public launch is the right shape, not a red flag. The phasing matters too: Phase 2 only comes after the bridge proves itself on-chain under controlled access. That's how you're supposed to do this.
What I am asking of the proposer if this passes
It expired this round without reaching threshold. My yes stands. If it returns: same phase discipline, publish the audit results in full when they land, and name the SPO custody participants early. Cardano competing for Bitcoin liquidity is worth funding. Carefully, in this order.